
My sweet little girl has been so excited about the new neighbors that moved onto our block last week. The weather has been nice and there have been many enjoyable hours outside. Yesterday around 5:00 our play time came to a complete halt though as Faye came crying (screaming!) to the front door. It's times like these that as a mother you just have an instinct to know what to do. As she is holding her hand on her chin and it's full of blood--my instinct said, "It's time to go to the hospital." She had been running and tripped--landing on her chin. She had her tennis shoes on, but it just happened.
I was sauteing vegetables for soup and Aaron was on his way home. We grabbed a towel and had Faye hold pressure on her chin and I literally called Aaron with one hand and buckled the baby in the car seat with the other. I even had enough thought to turn off the stove. Faye was starting to become a bit hysterical and I think Aaron could sense that on the phone as I said, "Come home! I am taking Faye to the hospital!" My sweet neighbor lady took Owen. Faye, Luke and I got on our way to the ER.
Aaron met us there and I was glad he did. I knew I could handle it on my own if I needed to, but it was such a relief that he was close by and was able to drop what he was doing. Faye was quite upset to just be at the hospital but she wasn't hysterical enough that we had to hold her down. She was just scared of the unknown. The process went pretty slow though and we were able to talk her through what was going to happen (and not happen) and the staff at the hospital were excellent. The nurse that cared for Faye treated her as if she were his own child, and also told her jokes through the whole process. By the end of the adventure Faye was having so much fun that it ended on more of a "field trip" kind of visit than one of trauma.
I found it interesting as well that Aaron and I seemed to just be in our element during the procedure. He coaches and talks Faye through things similar to how he coaches me through hard things. He had her calmed down before they even started. And since Aaron isn't so great seeing the sight of blood and needles, I got to be right on the bed holding Faye's hand through the numbing and the sutures. It didn't bother me at all.
So Faye broke our record of no stitches for the Keevy kids. She is sporting 6 stitches on her chin and handling it quite well. She is such a beautiful girl and the way she was so brave made us quite proud. I think this is just one of those character building experiences and I'm glad she wasn't hurt any more than she was.
The neighbor girl brought over chocolates and flowers for Faye which was very sweet.
2 comments:
Another episode in the "growing up" of Faye. What a blessing to her that her parents handled this so well, as did she. I'm proud of you all!
Good job Mom and Dad and Faye! What a team! I love how the Lord kicks those instincts in of knowing just what to do in those stressful times.
Post a Comment