Luke had another weight check a few days ago, and he is STILL below 5th percentile. We are trying to figure out what is going on. The scale reading in the picture above is not accurate because he had one leg off the scale. He is 16 pounds 10 ounces as of this week. Our kids have always run small, but he is the first to take a backwards drop on the percentile scale. That doesn't mean he has lost weight, just hasn't been progressing as they would have liked him to. Since a month ago I've started supplementing with formula. I only nurse him in the morning and the evening and now we have him eat regular meals with us in the high chair for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He eats pureed meats now, bits of cheese, whole milk yogurt, cheerios, veggie puffs, bits of bread, oatmeal, fruit, etc...
I am not as concerned as I was the first time this happened, although this was the third visit with the same news. The doctor is trying to rule out what the problem is, and thankfully at this point we don't feel like he has an absorption problem.
My other two kids were about 19 pounds at this age, putting Luke 2+ pounds lighter than they were. But Luke is a happy baby and he sleeps 12 hours at night. He sees the doctor for another weight check in a month. Until then, I am considering a butter type diet for this kid!

2 comments:
Both of my kids were under 5% for weight for most of their lives. And to this day, they are both lower percentile. Nothing wrong with them, just small. We made sure they got lots of whole milk and things. Like that. Keith is way below the weight of most of the boys at school, but similar in height. But Kelly has gotten more normal. I wouldn't worry to much.
Jonah has always been around the
5th percentile in weight and not much more in height, never above. He always gains weight and height, just not a bunch. The drs don't seem that concerned.
Post a Comment