The simple act of waiting is so hard. We live in a society that wants the biggest and the best, and we want it now. We want answers quickly. We don't want God to seem silent or tell us to wait longer. I find myself so often as this typical American. I read of God's faithfulness and promises to me in His word, I have ample stories of those before me written in scripture who have waited patiently on the Lord. I have examples of those I know who have waited patiently for something. So, why is it still so hard?
Perhaps it is the actual act of waiting. It's redirecting your thoughts constantly when you want to ponder on all the options. How will God move? When will He move? Will I like His answer? Did I perceive His promise wrong? Is it okay to have my doubts?
In reading the Old testament I keep seeing a running theme of others who have had their doubts. Look at the life of Abraham. He had a very intimate relationship with God. Can you imagine hearing the audible voice of God the way Abraham did? God promised Abraham that his descendants would equal the number of stars in the sky--but yet at the time he didn't even have a child and he was growing in age.
I was talking with a friend today who has been waiting on an answer from God for quite some time. Each time we get together we talk about this theme of "waiting." I am praying that God would give a clear answer to her, but for now the answer is stay, abide, dwell, and wait....And in the waiting God changes us. He moves our perspectives, and He builds our character as we depend on Him. And because I am praying for her, when God does give the direction she is waiting for--I can fully rejoice along with her, and I can't wait for that!
I can think back to some of the bigger things in my life that I had to wait for, when God's timeline seemed much different than mine. There were times I didn't understand Him, and wanted my own way. But when he fulfilled his promise it was so different than what I had planned, and so much better. I learned lessons along the way, I was reminded that he is faithful.
I think I'm always waiting for something, big or small. While singing "Great is Thy Faithfulness" this Sunday during our service I set an issue of waiting before God. It may not be a huge life issue, but I set it before God saying, "You are faithful to care for me, all I have needed (physically, emotionally, spiritually) you have provided." In proclaiming his goodness, I felt free of the burden of waiting. Because the truth is that God is good, He is faithful and He is just.
What are you waiting for? If could be that you are waiting for God to send just one good friend to you, a glimpse of the big picture in your parenting, a healing from a physical condition, an answer to a big question, a calming for your doubting heart. And He is there. He will be faithful to you if you seek him with your whole heart.
Do you want to hear more about the Life of Abraham? Follow this link (click on "Part 3 Covenants") to hear a recent sermon from our church, or find him in those crispy white pages of Genesis 15-18

No comments:
Post a Comment