It's the first of the year, and that means most of us are setting our best foot forward with good intentions on breaking bad habits, losing weight, being a better parent, saving money and getting organized! I hope that you've made a few goals, even if you know you'll only get them done half way, because that will still make you farther ahead then you were before you started, right?
Regarding organizing your home, I've got to tell you--I've been inspired! I'd like to think that my home is pretty organized and runs smoothly most of the time. I enjoy planning ahead for our schedule, meals, etc... and I think that helps. I've especially been trying to improve all of our systems lately since we are getting ready to move in a few months. It's no fun moving with items that you later find you needed to get rid of anyway. Trust me, I've done it! I was so encouraged listening to one of our MOPS mentor Moms Fritzi Heer this week. I was so blessed by this sweet and wise lady.
Fritzi doesn't claim to have everything figured out already, but she is ahead of me in years and very wise in how to efficiently run a home. She raised three children and now that they are moved out of the house she is housing exchange students. I really connected with Fritzi as she talked, feeling like we had a lot in common. She has the same ideas that I do about keeping a home, but just had more ideas in how to do that. She said it best when she said that once her home is running smoothly and without the clutter of too many things, she is freed up to do other things. She works as a dental assistant, owns a local coffee shop, has time to travel, and is involved with a handful of other volunteer opportunities such as our Kent MOPS group. I realize that Fritzi is ahead of me in years, (and most certainly without a toddler!) and listening to someone who is there was so encouraging. It's true that simplifying our lives brings freedom, and availability to others. I desire my home to be simple enough in design and belongings that it doesn't take much to tidy, and therefore I feel more comfortable having others over often. I don't want to waste my time, but see my time as my very most important thing that I need to manage. Doing things such as never leaving a room without improving it (pick up something to put away as you walk through), having systems for sorting through items (recycle, give away, keep and store), combining chores when possible (talk on the phone and wash dishes), having a plan for my daily schedule, keeping systems (such as morning and afternoon chores) and involving my kids in caring for our home.
God has given me the role as keeping our home, and caring for our children. It's a role that I don't always love, but most days I do. I praise Jesus that he continues to give me a love for what he's asked me to do, even if at the end of the day (almost everyday) I question his design.

No comments:
Post a Comment