Monday, February 20, 2012

The Exceptional Life-A book review


Here is another book I've recently read. Bethany House has sent me a copy of this book in exchange for doing a review of it on my blog.

Stephen Arterburn is an author, speaker, and talk radio host. I remember years ago hearing him on the Christian radio doing a program called "every man's battle."

Through years of counseling people, Stephen has come up with eight patterns in people that manifest problems and dysfunctions. Many of these issues he says has to do with a person needing to give something up in exchange for something better than they could have imagined. The principles outlined in this book are below:

Any person can give up guilt and shame, in order to get back hope.

Any person can give up resentment, in order to get back love.

Any person can give up fear, in order to get back trust.

Any person can give up anger, in order to get back forgiveness.

Any person can give up instant gratification, in order to get back patience.

Any person can give up learned helplessness, in order to get back power.

Any person can give up isolation, in order to get back connection and community.

Any person can give up addiction, in order to get back freedom.

To be truthful about this book, I have mixed feelings. At this point in my life I don't feel like I have major issues that are crippling me. I didn't get that "big calling" or life lesson from God that really stuck out to me. Was it insightful? Yes. Was it life altering? No. I identified with many of the principles, but what I kept thinking about while I was reading is how all of these dysfunctions point back to our need for the gospel. And this book does point to the gospel. I give it an A+ for portraying how God is our rescuer and healer, and a C+ for holding my attention because it's a long book with long chapters.

This might be a great book to work through in a group as it does have questions for thought at the end of each chapter. It would be a great book for a new Christian that is struggling with the basics of the gospel.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: