Tomorrow marks 13 years of missing my father. He went home to be with Jesus eternally on March 24th, 1999.
When my father died I was 21 years old and just starting my adult life. I felt like I had the whole world at my fingertips, but yet it felt empty without my Dad. I would wake up suddenly from a deep sleep and panic as I thought, "I don't have a Dad!!" But I slowly healed and God carried me through that first hard year. God carried me so gently and faithfully. When I was too sad to sing during a church service I felt his presence. When I was overcome with sadness God would bring to mind a happy memory. When I was overcome with doubt and anger God allowed me to meet Him where I was. And while I am sad that my father has missed so much, I can say it is well with my soul. He is in eternal bliss with his Savior.
My Dad taught me a lot about loving people and living for eternal purposes. You can read posts I've written about my Dad HERE and HERE.
I've tried to put to words from time to time what my father has meant to me. And then during this anniversary I make it a point to celebrate. It's a celebration of his life. As I have been thinking about him recently I've realized how much I appreciated his laughter and enthusiasm. I've noticed that the younger my children are, the easier it is to make them laugh. Have you ever noticed that about children? Young babies will laugh when you merely make a funny sound at them. As we age I think it's so easy to become serious, almost sullen. And while it would be funny if adults laughed as much as young children, I think I will speak for myself and say I am often way too serious and I need to laugh more. Anyhow, my Dad knew how to have a good time, and he laughed a lot! At least as a kid, that's what I remember. He LOVED the weekend. He was always up early on Saturdays and enthusiastically tried to wake everyone else too. He'd try to get us out of bed by saying, "Come on, get up! I'll make you an egg!" He made a pretty excellent fried egg. I'm not sure what else he could cook, but he had eggs down pretty good. Now that I'm an adult with children of my own I realize some of the level of stress my father probably had with leading a family and providing for them. I loved that he made an effort to work hard, but enjoy time off and have a good time too.
It's so easy to say that the time we had with him was not long enough, he died too young at age 56. But you know what? His life was started and ended exactly at the time that God predestined it to be before the beginning of time. Amazing. His purpose was served, in God's time. Now he is with Jesus and completely fulfilled.
So as I remember my father this year, I'm going to celebrate. I'm going to sing and dance with my kids and pester and tickle them as much as they'll let me. I'm going to hug them and kiss them while they sleep and pray for their future and that they would grow to follow Jesus. Life is too short to be so serious.
Love you Dad, I can't wait to see you again. We are going to celebrate together!
1 comment:
Beautiful. I am glad that I knew your dad.
Post a Comment