Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My orange card status




 

 Cleaning out my wallet recently I came across my "orange card." It's the card that identified me as my children's mom at my MOPS group. It's kind of funny. Throwing that card in the trash made me think. I don't need it anymore. But it signifies a time and place in the past now. Time moves so quickly. The people that I was a part of serving with for two years are no longer going to be a close part of my life. We had motherhood in common-moms of preschoolers to be more specific. I've laughed with these ladies, we've encouraged each other, we've talked about uncomfortable and awkward topics, we've helped each other, we've celebrated milestones together, learned from each other, and we've at times shed tears together.

It's kind of hard to feel like I'm starting over--with friendships. A big move means big changes in my friendships, even though I hope to reconnect with friends who have lived far away from me--now that I'm moving back. Relationships take work. And if you caught me on the wrong day I might even tell you that they don't matter. Friends come and go and move away, friends can let you down, and they are not perfect. I'm too busy to need community. But that is all wrong. Oh, it's so wrong! (Click here to read more about why a mom wouldn't want to make the effort for community.) But when I look at our society there are so many lonely people everywhere. People who (just like me sometimes) think I don't need anyone else. I can do it all on my own.But when we bend our will, and open up a bit-we can be blessed by others and they can be blessed by us. 

It's true, there are many stages in motherhood. But we don't have to go it alone. MOPS has blessed me in far too many ways to even fully describe. Raising the next generation should not be a job that we go alone. 

I've been thinking about a story one of the speakers shared this year. I won't mention her name.  She was walking through Target doing some shopping. She was all the way in the back corner of the store. Her two year old daughter had been riding in the big part of the cart when she starting standing up. She had told her daughter that she would have to sit down or she would go back to the front part of the cart. Her daughter persisted to stand up, so she moved her to the front part of the cart. The screaming ensued. She knew she needed to get out of the store quickly! Feeling the rush in her face as she started walking to the front of the store with everyone turning to look-an older lady came up and started walking a few steps behind her. She said to her, "Keep going. You are a good Mom, you're doing a great job. It's okay, keep going." It was all she could do to keep walking with the tears in her eyes from someone who truly cared about her. Instead of being judged for having a fussy child in the store that so often happens, this woman chose to encourage her. And THAT is what MOPS is like. Encouragement from women who have been there. When you've had a bad day and you think for sure you've screwed up your kids for good, there is someone right along side you saying, "Keep going, you're doing a good job..."

4 comments:

Julie said...

Jane - Can I share that story about Target on our parenting blog? Good blog. Julie Hellstrom

The Keevy Family said...

Sure Julie, that would be great! I'd love to have the link to your blog so that I could read it!

vickie said...

We are looking forward to having you back in our lives! We hope to give you a new FBC children's card made by your sister!

The Keevy Family said...

Thanks Vicki! I'm looking forward to being back at the FBC MOPS!