Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gingerbread houses








Posted by Picasa
Here are pictures from a fun last minute project we decided to do over the weekend.

I'm sure many of you plan out special things to do with your kids over Christmas, many of the things being traditions from year to year. I think that is great. But for me? I am in complete survival mode. Because of a number of things including pregnancy, I'm not my normal self. Some days I feel like I am, but the truth is I'm not! Usually I have a gingerbread kit for the kids to do with Aaron. This year I completely forgot about getting one. On Sunday night the kids wanted something for dessert. I opened the pantry to find graham crackers and that made me think of the leftover frosting I had in the fridge. I literally dumped things on a paper plate for them including candy all the way back from Valentines Day. I let them create their own masterpieces and eat a bit for dessert. I cannot believe how much of a hit this was with them! As far as they knew, I had this up my sleeve to do for days. And maybe we've created a new tradition, I don't know. I'm learning that life isn't perfect--(especially mine!) and many times I need to just adjust on the fly.

So here they are, not sure what to call them...but they are houses. Created by my brilliant children. :)

2 comments:

ness said...

When I first saw their plates and Faye and Owen sitting at the table I thougt-wow your a nice mom to let them eat all that candy for dinner, then I read your post:)

Marge said...

Nice recovery. That white fluffy stuff looks interesting. Hope it is eatable.